Thursday, February 27, 2014

Jumping on DLD

     By nature, I am hesitant to jump on badwagons, especially if I don't see how the "new" way of doing something is any better than the "old" way.  Like Jennifer West and Kim Hindricks, I used TodaysMeet this week in support of Digital Learning Day.  My AP Literature class tried this on Tuesday to discuss their literature circle books and then again on Wednesday to support our discussion about persuasive analysis.  For many of these students Tuesday was the first time using TodaysMeet.  I asked students to post a line from their books, then choose a peer's line,  and reflect/connect it to their own lives and their books.  The discussion was okay...but I still wasn't jumping.  Wednesday, however, as we toggled between print and digital media, the texture of the activity and the class changed a bit.  Most students were able to navigate in and out of print and screen while choosing specific examples of text ("When I first read this, I didn't notice all of the moody words to make it seem happy at first, like "skipped lightly" and "light and good") and reflecting on skills needed to strengthen their writing:  "This time around, I noticed that the voice is incredibly important and can play a key role in the difference between a 6 and 9 essay"; "Reading the sample essays really helped me understand, what things I need to work on and add to my writing."    So, my takeaway from this is that the "old" way for me would have been a ticket out the door via a post-it, which is fine, but the "new" way--though similar--saved some post-its and gave me time to interact with students immediately versus after they left my classroom.  I'm jumping.  On this one. 

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment