Monday, March 10, 2014

Handy D2L Tools

One of the best things I've done this semester with my AP class (although it would be great for any) is create a unit discussion board. For each new unit that I introduce I've created a discussion board via D2L that is open for the duration of the unit. Normally when it comes to discussion boards I do not allow anonymous posts and I require that each student start a new thread before they can post but I've gotten rid of those for this particular item. The purpose of this discussion board is to allow students--at any time during the unit--to post a question about a topic, homework assignment, or really anything they want help with. I check in regularly to respond to posts and other students are able to respond whenever they want or if they have an answer. It has been a great way to allow both of my classes to interact with one another, and it has been really helpful on homework nights so I don't come back to class with hundreds of questions. The anonymous part allows those who are normally on the shy side to get the help they need without everyone knowing who it is. I've loved this and I'll definitely be continuing to offer this as an option for my future classes and integrating it into everything I teach. It is super easy to set up and monitor...so it is low stress on me and the end result is completely worth it!
--Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment