Sunday, March 16, 2014

In my last post I mentioned having students complete a video assessment using videonote in D2L.  As we finished the Layers of the Earth and Plate Tectonics unit I created a scoring guide for the video assessment.  There were three parts: Layers of the Earth, Continental Drift and Plate Tectonics, and Plate Boundaries.  With each question I suggested vocabulary to use.  In class we constructed a foldable that resembled the layers of the Earth (students could use this in their video as a visual).  I urged students to think of ways to "teach" me about these topics through their video.  We had taken notes in class, completed labs, watched video clips, played science games with the material and had also practiced songs related to the unit.

I was impressed with the understanding students were able to convey through the video and how they were able to tie one subtopic in with the others. 

We practiced using videonote ahead of time so that students would be more comfortable seeing and hearing themselves.  It was difficult for several students because they had to know the material and not just guess with typical items such as matching, multiple choice, T/F or fill in the blank.  It was very easy to tell if students understood the concepts or not.

I am definitely planning another videonote assessment before the end of the year.

Any negatives . . . ?   I am not used to being tied to my computer, however, to grade these I sat and watched 114 3-minute videos (some were much shorter than 3 minutes).  I did find myself smiling quite a bit as I watched students and their excitement as they completed the assessment.
One more tool in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment